TRAILBLAZERS InfoWeekly info at www.juniornordicprogram.org
Information for Saturday morning of day 1:
Week 1 for Trailblazers involves moving kids around a bit. We strive for groups to be similarly skilled and fairly well-matched in terms of speed and similar downhill skills.
- #1 If your child will be out, please let Carolyn know. It really helps us plan the groups and activities, esp when we have instructor absences.
- Make sure your child gets a good night of sleep and a hearty breakfast.
- Show up early (an hour early!) for the first day if you need season rentals. If you don't need rentals, 30 min early should be fine.
- Check-in table will be under a tent in the lower teaching area (see map link). It will be obvious.
- If you need season rentals, hopefully you’ve done that ahead of time. If you need rentals, arrive as early as possible to pick them up on Day 1. If your child is in a group that will switch to skate at week 5, just tell the rental staff at the end of week 4 to swap out skate gear the next week.
- If your child is going up top (on the lift), they must have their trail pass or season pass on them. Lifties will not let them on even with their instructor. If you forgot your season pass, head to the cashier to fill out a 'forgot my pass' form. If you haven't bought your child's season pass before lessons, buy a trail pass and then head to Guest Services at West or Central with their ticket after lessons. You can credit the ticket price to a nordic season pass.
- To buy a nordic pass online, go here Nordic Season Passes.
- All TRAILBLAZER lessons run from 9AM-1PM with 10:30AM-11:30PM lunch. Depending on your groups' plans, kids may have lunch with the group on the trail or with parents at the lodge. Check-in for lessons will NOT be at the lodge this year. Don’t go to the lodge unless you need to rent gear. We will be checking in and checking out at a tent, outside in the lower teaching area. Here’s a map of where to come, ready to ski: Map of lower teaching area. Return to meet your skier at the same spot at 11:30PM.
- If your child has their own gear, mark the skis and poles in a VERY obvious manner. Most kids have similar brands and sizes.
- Mark your child's clothing (so we can get it back to you when/if your child misplaces it).
- Pack YUMMY snacks in your child’s backpack. We will be taking snack and hydration breaks throughout the lesson and we need them to enjoy their snacks during breaks so they have energy the whole lesson. Hmm, ice cold PB and J on the trail? It takes a determined kid to eat that. Chewy cookies, yum! Pack yummy stuff to drink too. Not all kids will drink plain water.
- If your child is going up top or to Cold Creek, make sure they know that there are no restrooms on the trail. Sometimes there is a honeybucket at Grand Junction (up top), but basically they'll need to use a tree if they get desperate.