Juniors XC Ski Racing in WAThe JNP is not a racing program. However, quite a few JNP kids do race and by age 14, JNP kids are excellent nordic skiers and old enough to start serious race training and racing if they so desire. Many JNP alums have gone to race in high school and college, and one of our alums Holly Brooks even went on to race in the Olympics.
For kids who want to focus on XC racing at a high level, Momentum NW provides a structured and high-level racing program. Some Seattle high schools also have race teams (Bush School). In the JNP, we have a 'race training' group for HS-age skiers who want to train for racing within the JNP; however JNP cannot provide support at races because JNP operates only on the Summit trails. Some local kids race under the auspices of Snoqualmie Nordic, although in 2015 they are not running an official team. Many JNP kids will race independently. The Washington Biathlon Association runs a popular winter and summer biathlon race series that is open to juniors age 9 and up. MVSTS runs Try Biathlon clinics in the Methow that are open to juniors also. There is a blog on WA Youth Biathlon that will help get your kids started too.
The juniors XC and biathlon races in WA State are:
- MVSTA's Ski Rodeo in the Methow Valley, late December
- Kongsberger Kids' Races at Cabin Creek, up to age 17, January and February
- Kongsberger Gunner Hagen at Cabin Creek, Classic, age 14 and older, early January
- Skirennen Nordic Citizens Race in Leavenworth, early January
- MVSTA's Race of the Methow, all ages, Junior National Qualifier, mid January
- MVSTA's Methow Pursuit, age 14 and up, late January
- Kongsberger Stampede at Cabin Creek, Skate, age 14 and older, early February
- Snoqualmie Nordic Jente Loppet at Hyak, February
- Spokane Nordic Nordic Cup at Mt. Spokane, Junior National Qualifier, mid February
- The Washington Biathlon Association race series at Steven's Pass, age 9 and up
- Washington Alpine Club Snoqualmie Loppet, Hyak to Cabin Creek, late February