LITTLE NORDSWeekly info at www.juniornordicprogram.org
Week 1 for Little Nords involves some moving kids between groups. We strive for groups to be similarly skilled and fairly well-matched in terms of speed. We work a lot on downhill skills during age 6-8 so that kids are ready to head up-top by age 8-9. So ability to ski hills in control is often what determines groups at this age.
- #1, If your child will be out, please let Kaarina know. It really helps us plan the groups and activities, esp when we have instructor absences.
- Make sure your child gets a good night of sleep and a hearty breakfast.
- Show up early (an hour early!) for the first day if you need season rentals. If you don't need rentals, 30 min early should be fine.
- Check-in table will be under a tent in the lower teaching area (see map link). It will be obvious.
- If you need season rentals, hopefully you’ve done that ahead of time. If you need rentals, arrive as early as possible to pick them up on Day 1. If your child is in a group that will switch to skate at week 5, just tell the rental staff at the end of week 4 to swap out skate gear the next week.
- If your child is going up top (on the lift), they must have their trail pass or season pass on them. Lifties will not let them on even with their instructor. If you forgot your season pass, head to the cashier to fill out a 'forgot my pass' form. If you haven't bought your child's season pass before lessons, buy it online and then head to Guest Services at Hyak Lodge (Nordic Center) to get it printed off.
- To buy a nordic pass online, go here Nordic Season Passes.
- To buy a nordic day pass instead, go here. When you get to the Nordic Center, there is a kiosk inside to get your day ticket. Nordic Day Pass.
- Check-in for lessons will be inside the lodge this year. Look for the check in table just inside the doors.
- Drop off and pick up is always on the uphill side of the lodge. After week 1, some Little Nords eat on the trail with their group while some eat with their parents. If your child's group is eating on the trail, then drop off at 9am and pick up at 1pm. If your child is not eating on the trail, the check in sheet will say, "lunch with parents". In this case, morning session is 9am-10:30am, lunch is 10:30am-11:30am with parents, after lunch session is 11:30am-1pm.
- If your child has their own gear, mark the skis and poles in a VERY obvious manner. Most kids have similar brands and sizes. Phone # helps too.
- Mark your child's clothing (so we can get it back to you if your child misplaces it).
- Pack YUMMY snacks in your child's pack. We need them to eat their snacks so they have energy the whole session. Hmm, ice cold PB and J on the trail? It takes a determined kid to eat that. Chewy cookies, yum! Pack yummy stuff to drink too. Not all kids will drink plain water.
- If your child is going up top or to Cold Creek, make sure they know that there are no restrooms on the trail. Sometimes there is a honeybucket at Grand Junction (up top), but basically they'll need to use a tree if they get desperate.